Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Sharks & Traffic

Bridger on the "pretend boat"
Brenden checking out the Reef
Petting the Sting Rays

Shark Story-time

Yesterday we all loaded up into the "fun-bus" and headed down to the aquarium with Brenden & Bridger's friend Savanna. We met up with Pam and Kelli to enjoy the festivities of "Shark Week". When we got there we waited in line for 20 minutes to get sharks and mermaids painted on our face, when we got to the front of the line Brenden and Bridger decided against having their face painted. I have no idea why, they paint themselves at home whenever possible. Anyway then we walked through the Aquarium and did the usual stuff-there really wasn't much of anything special for Shark Week, so everyone was disappointed. (Oh, but we did get a Speed Racer activity book from a guy who was on the radio-what does Speed Racer have to do with sharks? I have no idea). Anyway after being there for about 2 hours we loaded back into the "fun-bus" to head home. We got just past 6th south when the traffic report came on and told me to get off at 6th south or I would be stuck in traffic from a tanker crash. 1 minute later we were at a complete stop and I pulled out the Speed Racer Activity book. Savanna and Bridger watched Little Mermaid and Brenden fed and played with Bracken. That took up the first hour, the second hour was filled with Bracken screaming, Savanna crying that she would not get home to sleep in her own bed, and Bridger sleeping through it all. By the third hour the "fun-bus" had enough and was overheating, so I had to turn the air off and open the windows to the 95 degree heat. It took about 20 minutes for the car to cool off so I could turn the air on again, and then ten minutes later we had to turn the air off again. Many cars were stranded on the side of the road by this time due to overheating or running out of gas. This was the time I had to pull out the big guns and sing every little kid song I could think of, we sang and sang and sang-finally we did the happy dance because we could see the Huge tanker lying on it's side just ahead. When we finally broke through I felt like crying!! Our little jaunt to the aquarium turned into an eight hour nightmare!! Last night when I was getting ready for bed they showed the news, and cars were still backed up for at least 2 hours more!! I was very glad just to stay home today and out of the car all together!!


1 comment:

Cathy said...

Look at what a good mom you are! Able to withstand the heat and traffic and concentrate on your little ones. It reminded me of a very warm day just outside of Tremonton with three little ones and a broken drive line. YIKES that was a long day! Somehow we make it through these trials and then later look back and realize that we are stronger than we think! Love you tons,
Mom