Saturday, March 21, 2009

Earthquake Obsession

So yesterday Brenden gets in the car after school and the conversation goes as follows:
Mom: How was school today
Brenden: Mom did you know we could have a big earthquake here any day
Mom: Yes, but we will be okay, mom and your teachers know what to do if that happens.
Brenden: We practiced what to do today if it happens
Mom: did you get under your desks
Brenden: yep and then the fire alarm went off and we all lined up outside
Mom: good, it is good to know what to do just in case.

Then we got home from school and everything is going as usual, Brenden and Bridger are playing with their new snakes they got at the zoo the other day. Then Brenden runs into the living room and the conversation goes as follows:
Brenden: What was that?
Mom: what?
Brenden: the pictures were shaking on the walls
Mom: it was one of the million Jets that fly over our house everyday, remember we live down the street from the Air base?
Brenden: Are you sure?
Mom: yes, I know the sound of jets by now.
Brenden: it wasn't an earthquake?
Mom: no, it was a jet.
Brenden: okay, do we really have a lot of Jets that fly by our house each day.
Mom: yes, you probably don't even notice them anymore because there are so many.
Brenden: okay.

We eat lunch then Brenden goes off to play again, I check in on them up in Brenden's room and they are playing a game called-can you guess? Earthquake. They are shaking and figuring out what they should do to be safe, finding the best place to get under cover.

We go to Kindergarten Roundup for Bridger-which I will tell you about in a moment. We get in the car afterwards and the conversation goes as follows:
Brenden: Dad, did you know we could have a big earthquake here any moment?
Dad: They have been saying that since I was a little boy and it hasn't happened yet, you shouldn't worry too much about it.
Brenden: Have you ever seen an earthquake?
Dad: not that I remember.
Mom: I have been in one but didn't even know it happened because it was so small, nobody got hurt and everyone was fine, you shouldn't worry about earthquakes.
Brenden:have you ever seen a big earthquake?
Mom: no

The conversation then drifts to other important things such as playing outside with their friends and what we are going to have for dinner. We go out to dinner and on the way home Brenden, Bridger and Bryan are playing I Spy. It gets to Brenden's turn and:
Brenden: I spy something Bridger, dad and I haven't seen before
Mom: A planet?
Brenden: No I have seen a planet! It is something scary.
Bridger: A monster
Brenden: No, it shakes the earth up
Mom: Let me take a wild guess here-an Earthquake?
Brenden: yes!!
Dad: You don't have to worry about an earthquake, Mom and Dad and your teachers know what to do in an earthquake to keep you safe.
Brenden: good, because I have been so nervous my legs have been shaking!!

I am not sure teaching these things in Kindergarten is the best idea, and if you do maybe don't go into a lot of details about where we live having the possibility to have a big earthquake.

Anyway we in the middle of Earthquake day we took Bridger to Kindergarten Roundup, to get him signed up. He had a blast, they took all of the kids on a tour of the school and he got to make a caterpillar picture and a butterfly hat. He is so excited that he told me he is done with preschool, he just wants me to take him to Kindergarten from now on!

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I wonder where Brenden gets his worry genes from? I'll give you three guesses and the first two don't count. You handled it really well - you stayed calm and just kept reassuring him. Isn't it crazy how many things these little ones learn in kindergarten? Some good and some not so much! You are a good mom!
Love you tons,
Mom