Tuesday, April 12, 2011
Post 22- Favorite Pet(S)
So I could not pick one favorite pet-I have loved them all, from my baby pheasant to my last pet Mugsy. They have all brought some sort of joy and some other feelings (embarrassment, sadness, companionship ect...) I will just tell a few of my favorite stories. I will start with Freddy the pheasant, not many people I am sure can say they had a pet pheasant. My dad brought eggs home one day, and we had a project to try to hatch baby pheasants. There were three eggs so me and my sisters each claimed one. We set up the box with the light bulb to keep them warm and everyday would come home from school hoping to find baby birds. Weeks went by and my dad decided he better check one of the eggs to see if there actually were babies inside-not just light bulb cooked eggs. So we sacrificed one of my sister's eggs and sure enough there was a baby inside. Two days later we woke up to chirping in our basement. My egg had hatched and we had a baby pheasant. I named him Freddy, he was the only one who hatched. I soon learned that baby pheasants are loud, especially when you want to sleep at night. Every time I would get up to check on him he would quiet down, so I thought he must be lonely so I set my jewelry box that played "Its a small world" by his nest and soon he was quiet. He loved the jewelry box not only because it made noise but because it had a mirror and he thought it was another baby bird living with him. He was fun and it was a good experience to hatch a baby pheasant. Now I will tell you a couple of dog stories-first I will tell you about our dog Odie. He was a mutt dog who definitely had a mind of his own. He loved to sneak out of our yard, and several dog's in our neighborhood had "Odie" looking puppies over the years. Every time he got out you would have to get a hot dog and lead him back by waving the hot dog and calling his name. One day we took Odie for a ride in the back of my dad's truck, my dad assured my sisters and I that dogs are smart and don't try to get out of moving vehicles. He overestimated Odie's thinking capacities as to our horror our little brown mutt dog jumped for freedom out of a moving truck. We were on a hill and Odie hit the ground and rolled all the way to the bottom, luckily my dad was only going about 35 miles per hour and all though he was shook up Odie was no worse for the wear, except every time he rode in the car from that day on he laid on the floor and did not try anymore daring escapes. Then there was Sarge, Sarge was a dog my dad got as a Birthday Present, he was a German Short Hair, who was the cutest puppy. We would take him for walks and he would make it about 2 houses then lay down for a nap, so you would have to carry him home. He grew into a wild dog that had way too much energy, he for some reason decided he liked to bite my bottom- not anyone else's just mine. One day I got home from school, I was about 16 at the time, and our neighbors at the time were having a family party in the backyard, I didn't have a key so I went in the backyard to check the backdoor. As I was walking back there Sarge got excited and came running up to bite my bottom, unfortunately I was wearing a skirt and he reached right up an grabbed my underwear pulling them down around my ankles in front of the neighbors and their relatives. Loved that dog. That is just a small sample of stories I could tell about all of the pets I have had over the years, we have had cats, mice, lizards, fish, dogs, my parents now have chickens, a pheasant, hermit crabs, and the list could go on and on. I am grateful for the opportunity to learn to love and take care of animals, and have them be such a big part of my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ohh Sarge! I miss him.
your canable mouse, shudder!
Post a Comment