Friday, December 19, 2008

Kicking Myself...

Have you ever made a mistake that was so dumb and turned into something scary that could have been avoided if you only used your brain? I made one of those mistakes last night. The boys and I went to Gardner Village to see the elves (Very cute) with my sisters and mom and dad. It was really fun and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't done it. After we got done walking around and eating dinner we headed over to my parent's house to put the boys in their Jammies for the ride home. When I got there I parked in the bottom icy part of the driveway and put my emergency break on. When I got back in the car I forgot to take it off, the car was driving a little funny but I thought it was because it was 25 degrees outside. When I finally got to my exit off of I-89 my breaks wouldn't work at all. I was speeding towards a red light and a car that was turning left. Luckily I didn't panic (on the outside), and I steered the car over to the emergency lane and clicked on my flashers, I coasted down the other side of the exit until we stopped. I then called Bryan and started panicking realizing how much danger I just put my sweet boys in!! The breaks started to work after I sat there for a minute so I slowly made a U-turn and drove home. when I got home I realized what I did when I opened the car door and smelled the smell of burnt breaks! All night last night and today I have been kicking myself thinking how dumb that was of me!! This morning I took the Van to Les Schwab to get the breaks checked and they said that the breaks were just a little worn but fine, and what had happened last night was the break fluid got too hot, so it wasn't working, "few", at least I didn't ruin the breaks! That would have been not only a dumb mistake but a costly one right before Christmas!! I guess I should be thankful for small favors!! I am just so grateful my Boys and I are all safe and sound today at home, that it wasn't snowing last night, and that I can learn from dumb mistakes like these!!
Here are the pictures from Gardner Village:


2 comments:

Hansen Family Blog said...

Oh I am so glad that you ALL are safe and sound. That is so scary!!! I love you guys. Make sure you check the break next time:)

Mom of three ♥ said...

That is really scary! I am glad that your all ok as well. I have done that before driven with my brake on, but my brakes never stopped working that would have freaked me out!